I started this month with a 10, 7 and 4-year-old and here I am a few weeks later with a 10, 8 and 5-year-old. You know what that means, two birthdays in the same month! Two birthdays in 5 days to be exact. Which pretty much means now I am birthday’d out! This year we kept the birthday celebrations low-key and as a result, very affordable and I wanted to share with you how, so here it goes….
We skipped friend birthday parties this year. And guess what? They survived. Actually they didn’t complain about this at all. We had one family birthday party at our house for the both of them. This saved a lot of money, stress and time. But no worries, there was still cake, presents and the whole nine yards so it was a win-win for everybody.
Here are a few ways I saved some dough on the family party:
- My kids love games at parties, especially my Jack! So we played musical chairs and I got Pin the Tail on the Donkey at the Dollar store. Cheap, easy and fun for all ages!
- We also had a piñata, requested by Ella. Instead of paying $20+ for one, I made it! It was super cute but in no way perfect (I’m not one of those craft moms!) but I figure it doesn’t have to be perfect since people are going to take a bat to it and break it open anyways. (Also, promise I didn’t also save some money by loading the piñata with candy from a parade we attended recently.) Ha! :)
- The past few years we have bought ice cream cakes from Baskin Robbins. Oh my are they yummy! This year I saved probably over $30 by making cakes myself. A strawberry cake with pink frosting for Miss Ella and a mud pie ice cream one for Mr. Jack. And I don’t mean to pat myself on the back, but boy were they yummy!
- A few family members offered to bring food to the party and I accepted! Two appetizers and a salad later, all I had to do was order pizza and buy drinks!
- We did an emoji themed party this year so I picked up some emoji paper plates for the cake and some emoji napkins. Then I compromised by buying plain yellow utensils, dinner plates and cups which were half the price of the themed ones.
It was a super fun and affordable celebration. Happy 8th birthday Jack and happy 5th birthday Ella! My babies are growing up!