I seriously feel like it was yesterday that I was writing a blog about the first day of school and just like that I’m going to blink and it will be summer break! Eek!!!!
People ask if I dread summer and having all 3 kids home without a break and the answer is surprisingly “no”. I love having them home. I love not having to rip them out of bed when they are still sleeping and rushing to get out the door for school. And mostly I love getting to spend 2.5 months having fun together!
Each summer we do some big outings like a day at Silverwood Theme Park, a day or two at Riverfront Park riding the carousel, playing mini golf and riding some rides, but we’d go broke if we did stuff like that every day! So I like to find some free or cheap things to do to get out of the house too. Here is what is on my radar for this summer:
- Regal Movie Theaters are bringing back their summer kids movies at the Spokane Valley Mall. You can see movies like Paddington, Rio 2, The Spongebob Movie and many more for just $1 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Click here for more information.
- The local library! There are story times for the little ones like Ella and little day camps for the older kids. I went in the other day and was given a huge brochure on everything they have going this summer. I couldn’t believe all the fun things they have going on. Here is what is going on at Spokane County Libraries this summer.
- Groupons- I like to wait for a sale and buy kid friendly Groupons for things like froyo, pretzels at the mall, trampoline parks, mini golf- a big treat at a great price.
- Outdoor movies- now that the kids are getting a little older these might be a possibility for us. They just start so dang late because they wait until it’s dark but I know my kids would love to see a movie under the stars. Here is a schedule for Liberty Lake and Riverfront Park.
- Splash Pads and a picnic. When it’s hot you can’t beat going to a free splash pad and bringing along a picnic lunch. Spokane has lots of them, try one or try them all! Here is the most complete list I could find.
If all fails, here’s a list of 80 inexpensive or free summer activities for kids. Happy summer everyone!